Thursday 11 August 2016

Holiday in Crete 25th July – 8th August





I found a great taverna on the coast at Plakias on the south coast. It is a beautiful drive from the north coast through a choice of gorges.

My first Dorado with lemon sauce, cooked to perfection on the charcoal grill. 

The lady cooking has been there for 28 years! Think she may be an expert.





 





Her Sea Bass was also very good…










As was the Red Snapper!











 



Have always enjoyed the squid as well.




There are lots of Olive trees over 6,000,000 so they burn and make lots of things from Olive.

However most is imported from Tunisia. I was very disappointed to see that the napkin holder was laminated to MDF – completely ruined my lunch!


Our stick maker is still in business on the same lay by on the road to Spili (famous for textiles). Unfortunately his English is about as good as my Greek so I’m not sure what he thought I wanted apart from an updated picture.

Unlike our convention - he uses a blowtorch on wet Oak branches, hence no bark and no drying time. Crude but effective.












I have visited Crete a few times and always call in on Nicos Siragas who is well known in the wood turning world for carving and decoration as well as tool design.

He runs courses in the winter at his home in the hills as well as demonstrating in

Europe – check out his website.

No comments:

Post a Comment