Sunday 14 August 2016


Making a billhook case in Wanstead 14-08-16



I only had a paper pattern for this commission so I had no option but to make a mould. Normally I would use plywood or MDF but this was around 1/8” thick so I used Perspex (not the easiest material to cut bevels on!)

I used an angle grinder with a metal cutting disc and then filed it my hand.





 



Next step was to make templates using thick cardboard.













I stapled the welt to the outer pattern and then tested on the mould.









For rough finishing of the leather sandwich I use a sanding board.



I have a range of these with different grids 80 - 320 Stuck onto some lamin-board. A type of block board using flat strips – very expensive (I salvaged some posh library shelving some years ago).







 I have changed how I use my stitching pony (back problems), I now clamp it to a bench and stitch standing up – far more comfortable.


I have also mounted my wooden slicker on my lathe which really speeds things up.













Once I had done all the hand stitching and made the strap, then just a final fitting (suits you sir?)











The completed case just needs a jiffy bag and posting.






























No comments:

Post a Comment