Tuesday 9 July 2013

Local groups – our expansion continues and we have some possible new groups being born in South Wales, Staffordshire, Berkshire,  Bristol and Sheffield. You will be the first to know if you live in those areas.

I recently found  ‘LOCAL GROUP SWEDEN’ in Tranas

I thought it may be appropriate to print his hand written letter verbatim (when was the last time you had a hand written letter?). He also sent me an impressive DVD of his work.

                                                                                                TRANAS, 10 APL 2013

DEAR MR WARWICKER
I’M PLEASED TO TELL THAT THERE IS A LOCAL GROUP I SWEDEN. WE MEET EVERY WEDNESDAY EVENING AND THERE ARE AT PRESENT NINE OF US. DURING SUMMER WE SOMETIMES MEET MORE OFTEN.I’VE INCLUDED A FILM WHICH SHOWS ME WORKING AWAY IN THE SHOP. I LIVE WITHOUT COMPUTER, BUT MAYBE ONE OF THE OTHER MEMBERS CAN SEND YOU PHOTOS FOR FUTURE PUBLICATION IN THE BODGERS GAZETTE?
WE CALL OURSELVES “TRADROTTERNA” (“THE TREE ROOTS”), BUT I SHOULD BE HAPPY WITH THE TITLE “LOCAL GROUP SWEDEN”
ONCE YOU HAD A GO ON THE POLE-LATHE THERE’S NO TURNING BACK IS THERE?
YOURS, PAR


Worshipful Company of Turners 03-06-13
I recently attended a meeting of the Howe committee at the Guildhall in London. Their aims are very similar to ours in that, they wish to promote woodturning but for them, in all its forms. The committee is made up of the usual basic structure with representatives from  the APTGW - Katie Abbott and me. The AWGB -  Ray Key and Joey Richardson, and representatives from the SOT (Society of ornamental turners). It is hoped that there may be a pole-lathe turner on a float at the Lord Mayor’s show in November.

APTGW Committee
If I have learnt one thing in life, it’s that nothing ever remains the same. Our committee needs to evolve and change to make it able to respond to the wishes of our members. We know that John Burbage wishes to step down as treasurer so we need someone to take this on. We would also like to expand the committee and take on interested people without specific roles. Dare I mention we have only one female member? Please talk to me if you require some additional information before making a decision one way or another. Just consider, what you can do for the bodgers…
Hopefully I will see you soon in a forest.
Jon
P.S. Off to a meeting of the Heritage Crafts Association tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment