Thursday, 7 November 2013

Half term week – end of October


Well another few days to tinker with some tool making. Hot from last weekend I decided to make a stitching vice. They are somewhat overpriced in all the catalogues so I decided to make it out of joinery offcuts I have been collecting.

The dimensions I borrowed from the Tandy Leather web page. The base and sides are oak faced Baltic ply. I worked backwards from the standard coach bolt length to avoid cutting them. The square ends made them a little more difficult to fit but solved the rotation problem you would get with ordinary bolts or studding. The mark of Zorro on the Mahogany spacer was a superglued split. All the rubbed joints used Titebond, far superior to ordinary PVA and less fuss than Cascamite.


No comments:

Post a comment